Who To Bring?
Trust us on this one, you'll really only want to bring the few people who you know will be super supportive, insightful and get your style. It is a great idea to chat with the lovely humans you'll be bringing along, maybe over brunch or a cocktail or two - this way you can hit the ground running & know you will be supported and not put down, which we see WAY to much! And it breaks our heart as much as it breaks the brides. We also welcome the little humans, but please keep them seated at all times. Delicate veils, accessories and white dresses can be a recipe for a disaster for the kiddies.
What To Bring?
To Keep our samples in pristine condition so they are clean and flawless for all, please avoid heavy perfumes, lotions, fake tan and heavy makeup. You'll want to feel beautiful and confident, so we ask you consider light makeup and an easy hairstyle, similar to your day. If you have ant heirlooms, absolutely bring them along to try with the gowns! We do not allow food or drinks in the boutique, besides a water. During events we will provide complimentary sparkling and nibbles. Unfortunately without a liquor licence, we can't let you BYO from home!
Before You Come In
Look through our website galleries and screenshot your favourites. Get a good idea of our boutique collection, both permanent and any in on loan or for an event. We love when brides bring in a heap of inspiration and ideas, but we are also totally happy if you are open and have no idea what you love!
Please come in with your budget and a realistic budget for yourself. It just really stinks when a bride comes in without a budget or "whatever I like I'll buy" and our girls show you gowns, and our bride falls in love with a gown that is not affordable. It really sucks. Also remember, you'll be paying HALF of the total gown cost on the day - so be prepared!
Although, we offer a zip-pay option for your deposit up to $1500, AND Humm Finance for your gown. Just a little something to help you out, as weddings are hella expensive!
Ok, you are in the boutique... now what?
You made it! Each appointment you will have your own personal stylist. Our girls are the best and love to get creative and slightly customise you a gown that are totally YOU. Once we greet you, your stylist will get to work getting to know you and your wedding vision. We will then ask your party to have a seat in your private bridal lounge while we, you and your stylist, explore the racks for something fabulous for you to wear. We ask your party to have a seat so we can grasp an idea of what YOU love - not your best friends-aunties-partners- mums-brothers-daughter and what her dress looked like (haha!) Remember, our gowns are sample sizes, varying from sizes typically 10-26. Gowns we stock in an 8, we often have in a size 18-26 as well. We have some tools and tricks to make sure a gown can fit you so you can really see what one in your actual size would fit like.
Bridal gowns typically run 1-2 sizes higher than maybe the clothes you have at home. It might shock you or seem frustrating, but these numbers are really just for our stylists. When you are ordering a dress, we STRONGLY recommend ordering a dress for the size you are at the time of ordering. Its much easier to take a dress in than it is to let it out.
Did not find the one today?
This might happen for a few key reasons.
1) You hadn't really narrowed down what you were looking for yet. Solution: Go back and really starting looking at websites, wedding photography, or Pinterest to get a better idea.
2) You and your family disagrees, thus confusing the heck out of you. Solution: We are always unequivocally TEAM BRIDE. Your wedding is a celebration of you. We think a bride should wear the exact dress SHE wants. This means a tough and honest conversation is warranted with those that might disagree with you. Stand up for yourself! You don't want to look back and realize your dress is appeasing others and doesn't make you truly happy.
3) You just cannot decide during your appointment and want to sleep on it. Impulse buys are not your thing. Solution: We totally get this situation too. Some women really want to think about it. We suggest scheduling another appointment with us right away so that you give yourself a definitive timeline to mull it over. Real talk-you do really need to keep in mind your timeline. We strongly recommend women shopping for the dress 10-14 months before the wedding to allow time for the dress to be made, shipped, and altered. It is quite the process. There are rush shipping options, but not on all dresses all the time.
Be Prepared To Say YES!
This is not some cheesy sales ploy, but we really do think it's beneficial for our brides if they come into their appointment ready to buy. Why? It's so easy to be overwhelmed if you haven't done your homework or really narrowed down your vision. Oh how we love the sweet internet and Pinterest that allows our brides to have millions of styles at their fingertips. When prepared, you’d be surprised how often a bride purchases one of the first dresses she tries on at our shop. Sometimes less is more; so, if you come with a vision and style in mind and we can show you the specific dresses in your price range, color, and style. Then we've just got to find you your perfect wedding dress that you’ll wear to marry the love of your life (goose bumps.)
That Feeling When You Find The One?
Don't use what you've seen on TV shows, (i.e., the over-the-top emotional reactions, crying, and tissues galore) to be the #1 gauge for whether or not you decide to buy a gown. Don't get us wrong, we love this and definitely keep plenty of tissues on hand, but it doesn't always work out that way. And that's not a bad thing. It may just be a really warm, positive vibe you get in a dress, where you feel beautiful and confident. You might not be a crying type of person, and who cares! That doesn't make it any less special of a moment.
We hope these little tips and tricks we have learnt over the past 8 years AND the fact that all of our girls have shopped for their wedding dress in their life. Stay safe, we can't wait to meet you all x
Resources & References:
- Lovely Bride Website
- Honest In Ivory, Appointment Prep Guide
- What To Expect At Your Booking, BuzzFeed 2016